Saturday, September 10, 2011

The List

I live with my BF, and cleaning is something we constantly fight about.  We've tried pretty much everything - making a list, making a schedule, having assigned chores, asking nicely when we want something done... and none of it works.

Here are some things I've learned about myself during the 4+ years this has been going on:
  • I don't like to be told what to do
  • I don't like to be told when to do it
  • I don't like to do things in the morning or right when I get home
  • I don't like to get stuck with the worst chores every time (and neither does anyone else)
  • I'm rarely in the mood to clean, but when I am, I can get a lot done
  • Having the opportunity to check something off the list makes me want to do it more
So I've come up with a new plan - and for once it seems like it might work.

I made a list of things to be done daily, weekly, and less often.  Instead of assigning specific tasks to each of us, we sat down together and each chose things from the master list to put on our individual lists.  I came up with some suggested times to do some of the daily tasks - around 9 at night, when we've had time to unwind for the day, and before we get ready for bed.  I'm often sitting around until very late, too tired to get up to go to bed, and so I think getting up to do a few things around the house will actually help me get ready for bed earlier too.  Hopefully it works!

Daily
  1. Make bed
  2. Squeegee shower
  3. Wash dishes (by hand)
  4. Load/unload dishwasher
  5. Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
  6. Clear and wipe bathroom counters
  7. Sort dirty laundry
  8. Take out garbage (if full)
  9. Clean litterbox (if taking out garbage)
  10. Sweep kitchen
  11. De-fur couch and chairs

Weekly
  1. Clear dining room table and coffee table
  2. Wash and fold laundry
  3. Take out recycling
  4. Clear dresser and nightstands
  5. Clean bathrooms thoroughly
  6. Vacuum carpets
  7. Mop kitchen and bathrooms
  8. Change sheets
  9. Clean shower
  10. Clean microwave and stove
  11. Clean surfaces of appliances

Less often
  1. Clean out and wipe down inside of refrigerator
  2. Dust, including fan and lights
  3. Wash windows/mirrors
  4. De-fur vertical blinds
  5. Shredding
  6. Wash garbage can
  7. Wash mattress pad

So far, we've accomplished a lot - it's only the middle of the day on Saturday, so we actually have quite a bit of time to finish.  We're looking forward to next weekend, since everything we're doing will be even easier!  Hopefully this will lead to more happiness and less stress for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment