Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Importance of Basic Skills in the Kitchen

In my last post I mentioned an article that argues for Home Economics to be taught (properly) in schools to combat obesity in America.  Basic skills in the kitchen can go a long way.

I have a friend (a good friend whom I like very much!) who is not only a picky eater, but also hates to cook.  She survives on takeout and frozen microwaveable dinners.  Once, she wanted to bake cookies for a family party, and I had to have her come over so I could take her step by step through the recipe.  This person is real, but this also used to be me.  I think I've come a long way from calling my sister to ask how to boil water (yes, this really happened).

Lately I've been realizing just how proficient I have become in the kitchen since starting to learn to cook about 2 years ago.  I have developed a thorough knowledge of a few dishes which I can make without referring to a recipe or measuring anything out.  Over the weekend, while down the shore with my family, I whipped up a frittata without thinking twice.  Just today I made a pot of chili for my mom, using up odds and ends from the cabinets and the refrigerator.  Was it the best chili I've ever made?  No, but it was delicious.  My sister enjoyed it.  And I took what I had and made it into a decent meal.  Aside from the small amount of meat in it, it was all beans, vegetables, and spices - that's it.  Not once did I consult a recipe at least for some sort of vague inspiration - I got by on my existing knowledge and confidence alone.  I'm actually pretty proud of myself.  I hope my skills continue to improve, but I think I'm a good example of how anyone can learn the basics.

With these skills and just a little bit of passion and interest, I've been able to make "frozen microwaveable dinners" from scratch.  I'll never rely on takeout (though I'll always enjoy and appreciate it).  When I need to be a bit more budget-conscious (and that time is surely approaching) I'll have the skills I need to eat well and nourish myself properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment