Monday, September 5, 2011

Article: "Revive Home Economics Classes to Fight Obesity"

Just came across an interesting article in the New York Times, Revive Home Economics Classes to Fight Obesity.  The author suggests that teaching real cooking in schools can help fight back against the obesity epidemic in America, and I agree.  Beyond teaching the basics of food and nutrition, Home Economics can teach, well, home economics - those basic skills you need to be on your own.  I remember learning sewing in my Home Ec class in middle school - I don't remember any of it now, but I wish I did, as I have a pile of clothes needing tiny repairs and I am too often taking things to the dry cleaners to be fixed instead of just doing it myself for less time and much less money.  Basic cleaning tips would be helpful too - how to use baking soda to clean things, what not to mix together, should you go back and forth or in circles, etc.  Too many people don't have these basic skills (myself included, though I feel I've gone above and beyond with the food part by this point) and teaching them in schools would certainly help.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to pick up on some of these skills in order to better myself and feel more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment